PREPARATION OF CONCRETE STRUCTURE
Before pebble application the concrete structure should be jet washed clean of all dirt, debris and dust.
The coping stone and decorative tileband should be laid in place, including any step markings and decorative mosaic tiles features. If the swimming pool has an overflowing infinity edge place the perspex level where required.
ONE DAY BEFORE PEBBLE APPLICATION – SCRATCH COAT APPLICATION
Apply a scratch coat using a bonding coat if necessary, the bonding coat is a base coat consisting of a mix of latex and small pebble (1-2mm). This bonding coat is recommended for all pools that are constructed using gunite projected concrete, that are a smooth surface, or have a rendered finish over the structure or are a refurbishment where the old tiles have been removed from the structure.
Ensure the site is set up ready with all the equipment and have all the pebble and cement product on site. We suggest having a shade cloth covering over the pool basin to help shade the workers and reduce direct sunlight. See below for list of a full list equipment.
PEBBLE APPLICATION DAY
We recommend that the pebble application in the pool is done when all other construction and groundworks in the surrounding area are completed. The swimming pools’ filtration equipment needs to be ready to turn on once pool is full of water.
Jetwash the pool thoroughly to remove any debris and any loose impurities. Dampen the surface ready to receive pebble.
In the mixer, make up batches as per batches mixes to desired colour. Base mix is 200kgs of pebble to 120kgs of good quality white Portland cement. Ask your supplier for fresh cement, do not use if old and full of clumps. If using oxides ensure to measure consistently throughout the batches and mix each batch thoroughly.
All workers in the pool need to wear spikes so not to leave footprints in the material.
Starting at the lowest point and aiming to finish at the steps, apply pebble to damp surface.
- Laying up the material – 1st trowel: Apply material to structure to a constant 1 cm thick, straighten the wall before starts drying.
- Wet trowel – 2nd trowel: Wet trowel the material bringing the cement to the surface and closing the pebble together.
- Water trowel – 3rd trowel: When the material is starting to harden, water trowel the surface to smooth finish.
- Washing off – Jet wash: When material reaches correct hardness, lightly jet wash starting with the walls and working down the pool, removing the cement cream and exposing the pebble. Leave to dry overnight.
THE FOLLOWING DAY – ACID WASH AND CLEAN
- Acid wash: Using a mixture of 10% hydrochloric acid and 90% water in a plastic can, pour the solution on the wall and floor. Then wash down all surfaces with a jet wash to remove any residue acid and pump away. Once all acid solution pumped away start filling the pool with clean and portable water. Start the filtration system as soon as pool is filled. See recommended start up procedures for more information.
See our video on the website at www.pebble-pro.com
Equipment and tools:
Shade cloth, with ropes and supports / Tarpaulin
300kg concrete mixer
Ramp / chute
Water drum / large water container
Hardener and oxides (where required)
Ground sheet to protect surrounding terrace
Boards to level mixer
Trowels -Rigid for laying up and -Flexi for finishing
Step tool (external and internal)
Spikes for footwear
Hoses and hose connections
Appropriate nozzle (Pebble Pro will bring nozzle to first training session)
Sika Latex (or similar brand) -20 litres
Calcium Chloride (water hardener) -10kg
Hydrochloric acid -2x 20ltrs per 100m2 of pool
Pebble Pro ™ can supply:
Flexi rounded edged pool trowels:
Kraft Blue Steel 14” x 4” rounded edge pool trowels € 38.90 each (+ iva/tva)
Kraft Blue Steel 16” x 5” rounded edge pool trowels € 43.80 each (+ iva/tva)
2” radius step tool – outside or inside curve €20.00 each (+ iva/tva)
Prices above excludes cost of delivery.
orders required at least 2 weeks in advance.